(RSMo 650.520) A Blue Alert is authorized when:
- a law enforcement officer is killed or seriously injured in the line of duty; or
- an officer is missing in connection with official duties; or
- there is an imminent and credible threat to kill or seriously injure a law enforcement officer; and
- there is actionable information known about a suspect for a public notification to be helpful to law enforcement; and
- the law enforcement agency involved requests or approves the alert being issued
The local law enforcement agency will fill out the Missouri Blue Alert Form.
Email (email@example.com) or fax (573-751-6814) the Blue Alert form with the attachments such as photographs, area maps, etc. to the Missouri State Highway Patrol; Troop F Headquarters. Email is the preferred method to receive the forms.
Contact the Missouri State Highway Patrol; Troop F Headquarters at (573)-751-1000 to verify the emailed or faxed forms and attachments have been received.
The local agency should also fill out the AMBER Alert request form in MULES 5 (type AMBER in the command line). This form sends a message via MULES to Troop F Communications to notify them of the pending AMBER Alert request. If the agency needs assistance filling out the AMBER form, Troop F Communications can assist the agency.
Make sure dispatchers or call takers are prepared to handle phone calls. Consider allocating additional resources from other law enforcement agencies.
A public information officer (PIO) should be appointed to handle the media. Once the alert has been activated, media coverage may be overwhelming, especially for a small department. The PIO should be constantly updated to utilize the media as much as possible and receive the maximum exposure for the case.
The Blue Alert does not preclude any in-house procedures, policies, or practices used by each law enforcement agency.
THE FOLLOWING WILL HAPPEN AFTER THE ALERT IS ACTIVATED
- All Missouri law enforcement agencies are notified through a MIAC email alert.
- Broadcasters and media are notified.
- The public will receive a Wireless Emergency Alert (WEA) message on their cell phone.
- The Missouri Department of Transportation will be notified to activate message signs, if practicable.
- The Missouri Lottery will be notified to activate message signs, if practicable.
Canceling The Blue Alert
- Mark the Blue Alert form with "Cancellation" and provide a brief description of the cancellation details in the "Brief Circumstances" box.
- The agency must also call the Missouri State Highway Patrol's Troop F Headquarters at 573-751-1000 to verify the form was received.